An Unusual Restoration…

An unusual restoration from a few years ago – don’t ask me why they did this!

The violin had its original neck, so the height and shape of the button was entirely determined by the original neck and elevation. It had been set up as a modern violin.


There wasn’t much original wood left on the button, so a button graft was needed as well as making those 2 “letterboxes” disappear.


Shavings on backs are much harder than on fronts as you have the flames to deal with and the grain lines aren’t as strong as on a front.


I tried to remove a large shaving in one from the patch area as the job is so much easier if you can use original wood which I managed on one side, the other side needed more than one shaving.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s